Five effective ways to think about goal setting:
1. Direction - establishing a worthwhile goal challenging enough to really push you.
2. Effort - direct correlation between goal difficulty and the amount of effort required to achieve.
3. Persistence - directed effort extended over time. A combination of the previous two points.
4. Strategic Development - the above three components are relatively direct in their effects. This mechanism is more indirect as it involves developing a broader strategy for attaining your goals.
5. Reflection and flexibility - constant re-evaluation of where you are, and if off-track how to re-adjust your approach. Links directly with strategic development. Allows you to disassociate from your goal so you can focus objectively.